When winter arrives, the fun doesn’t have to end—especially in Plainfield! Winter is an excellent time to hunker down with your family in your comfortable, warm home. But when you just want to get out and get active, Plainfield offers plenty of winter family fun. Check out great winter-friendly activities available in Plainfield!
1. Sledding. The Plainfield Park District offers 3 official sledding hills, so once the snow comes, you have your pick! Hills include:
Cumberland Park | 6901 Gallatin Dr., Plainfield
- This hill offers around a 30 degree slope on around 200-300 feet of sledding, and it’s very fast.
Norman Greenway | 13214 S. Blakely, Plainfield (on 135th St. approximately ½ mile west of Route 30.)
- This hill offers around a 45 degree angle and around 200-300 feet of sledding. And there is easy parking right near the sledding hill!
Rec/Admin Center | 23729 W. Ottawa St., Plainfield
- This hill offers around a 45 degree angle and is easily accessible in Boy Scout Park near the Recreation/Administration building.
2. Ice Skating. Whether you want to practice your hockey skills or your double toe loops, you can try out one of the Plainfield Park District rinks:
Eaton Preserve | 23601 W. 135th St., Plainfield
Van Horn Woods West | 17201 S. Lily Cache Rd., Plainfield
3. Cross Country Skiing. We are fortunate to be located right near the DuPage River Trail. This beautiful trail that is built along the DuPage River is ideal for hikes when there isn’t snow, and for snowy days, it’s perfect for cross country skiing or snow shoeing. The DuPage River Access of Hammel Woods offers 2.18 miles of natural surface trail and 3.7 miles of paved trail, and you can check out other nearby options on the trail as well.
4. Swimming. Do you miss the Springbank Aquatic Center? Until it reopens for the summer season, enjoy swimming indoors at the C.W. Avery Family YMCA! Enjoy the zero depth entry, four watersides, and the splash playground.
5. Sports and more. Check out Eich’s Sports Complex for a great place to shake your sillies out. Eich’s Sports Complex offers 9,500 square feet of multipurpose gym, 5 indoor batting cages, a pitching tunnel, and more. Or have an awesome time together bowling at Plainfield Lanes.
Hope you can get out and enjoy the winter!
Would you like to know more about life in Plainfield? Join our eList today!